At Shepherdswell Academy we believe the intent of our PSHE curriculum is to deliver a curriculum which is accessible to all and that will maximise the outcomes for every child so that they know more, remember more and understand more. PSHE enables our children to become healthy, independent and responsible members of a society and encourages pupils’ motivation to improve society and the world further. It aims to help them understand how they are developing personally and socially, and tackles many of the moral, social and cultural issues that are part of growing up. We provide our children with opportunities for them to learn about rights and responsibilities and supports pupils to consider the outcomes and consequences of theirs and others’ choices and actions. Our children are encouraged to develop their sense of self-worth by playing a positive role in contributing to school life and the wider community and appreciate what it means to be a member of a diverse society.
Our pupils are at the heart of our PSHE curriculum.
We aim to:
• Increase resilience
• Nurture emotional wellbeing and mental health
• Share cultures, appreciate diversity and grow empathy
• Impact on positively on relationships
• Promote positive learning behaviours
• Develop healthy, happy children
• Teach children the importance of keeping safe
• Reduce barriers to learning
• Build skills, attitudes, self-esteem and confidence
• Support pupils to understand each other as human beings and global citizens
• Understand pupils better as unique individuals
• Enhance the positive ethos of the whole school community
Through these aims we will improve the life chances of our pupils.